The purpose of space planning/audits is to determine how the current space is being used, establish where there are problems with over capacity or shortages of space and to develop managed solutions.
Undertaking this process will allow decisions to be made in respect to the following:
- Is re-arrangement or re-assignment of existing space necessary?
- Will it be necessary to dispose of under-occupied buildings or space?
- Will it be necessary to obtain further space or additional buildings to accommodate over-capacity?
The review process can typically take the following form:
- By interview assessment and comparison with accepted standards.
- Identify physical-use spare capacity.
- Identify rooms which are overcrowded or otherwise falling below standards.
- Record occupancy numbers of each room.
- Recorded uses of each room.
- List recommended changes.
The results are recorded in a full written report which summarises the main conclusions. We can compare the accommodation provided with current standards and expectations.