We recently shared the news that AG’s Vince Rimmer is now an APC assessor for RICS. The APC is the training and assessment process which must be followed to become a Chartered Surveyor. This culminates in a professional interview / exam where a panel of experienced Chartered Surveyors assess the candidate. Vince has been involved in the APC process as a mentor, assisting candidates on a voluntary basis, and training & supervising our own surveyors.
AG would like to offer assistance to anybody preparing for their APC Assessment. Whether this is just a telephone conversation to gain informed advice or the full works sitting a mock exam with an AG panel, we are here to help.
In a report by the Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC), the skill shortage in construction and engineering was described as ‘critical’. Furthermore, RICS confirmed that the UK construction industry could lose almost 200,000 workers from the European Union if the Brexit negotiations mean that the country loses access to the single market.
Andrew Whittle, Director commented: ‘AG recognise the current shortage of qualified Surveyors and would like to help make a difference. We really want to promote Building Surveying and feel we should all ‘muck in’ when it comes to our industry. We have a great team here who are more than willing to support others… We have all been there and can remember how daunting the process can be!’
We believe there is nothing worse than leaving everything until the last minute… Don’t do it! Ensure you have given yourself plenty of time to prepare for that all important day. It is vital to feel confident that you have given your all and prepared the best you possibly can. We have compiled a list of useful tips on how to effectively prepare for your final APC Assessment;
- Mock Exams. Arrange a mock exam as soon as possible. This will help you to get a feel for the day and know what to expect. Sitting a mock exam will not only allow you to practice but it will boost your confident. Remember, the more mocks you do the better it is!
- Recap. Some of the questions asked during your APC Assessment will be based on your submission so it is important you are confident with the content. You need to reread your submission prior to the assessment; it will be beneficial to highlight any key words and areas you feel play an important part.
- Revise. You can find plenty of valuable information online (forums, blogs, RICS etc.), make use of them. We would advise planning a set time for this, with little distractions and have a structured strategy in place. Write any questions / areas down you feel less confident in and tick off when you are comfortable.
- Practice. Ensure you have practiced your presentation and tweak where needed. You don’t want to be too reliant on the presentation, it will work in your favour to be comfortable speaking to the panel without the constant use of prompts. Cue cards can be helpful!
- Questions. A tip we have picked up along the way is to ask an outsider to question you. Having somebody who is not in the industry question you will really test your knowledge and highlight any potential gaps.
There is no doubt the APC Assessment process is tough but with the right support, you can attend the day well-prepared, self-assured and may even enjoy yourself!
If you are interested in taking up AG’s offer and would like to practice in a mock exam environment, please do not hesitate to get in touch.